[Steam-engine] Tod Engine Progress Report

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Oct 14 07:03:03 PDT 2005

Good one Rick!!!

RickinMt.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Rowlands" <jrrowlands at neo.rr.com>
<Stationary_Steam_Engines at yahoogroups.com>; <TodEngine at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 6:02 AM
Subject: [Steam-engine] Tod Engine Progress Report

I met with Bill Grim and his son yesterday at the museum site.  They wanted
to look over the area before scheduling the move of the last four big pieces
of the engine.  They were pleased with the preparations I've made, and are
planning to move the parts sometime in November.

I have started to assemble materials for the 30' x 60' engine house
building.  I am sending out an order for the timbers to an amish sawmill
today.   Three of the concrete footers are in place and I'm slowly pouring
more as time permits.  On top of each footer will be a round base plate
which a local fab shop is making for me.  Welded to each base plate will be
a 12" piece of 6 x 6 x 1/4" square tubing which will hold the 6 x 6 timber
columns in place.   We will be using 2 1/2" twenty gauge corrugated panels
for the roofing and about 100 panels of used siding has been donated, so
that will reduce some costs.

With the parts being moved so late in the year, I will just tarp the
cylinders and crankshaft and wait until spring to start work on erecting the
building. But by summer the structure should be pretty well completed.
After the structure is completed we will install a seperate set of columns
and runways for a 5 ton overhead crane.  The crane itself has been acquired
and still needs to be moved from Akron, lengthened by ten feet and
completely overhauled.