Trailer safety (was Re: [AT] OT Darwin

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Oct 10 15:05:41 PDT 2005

I don't know why, but your last email reminded me of an incident that
happened at the dealership one Saturday morning when I wasn't working.
We had a "yard man" whose total duties included washing tractors,
driveway, etc.  One day he decided to use the expensive aluminum ramps
that we had available for lawn tractors in and out of pickup trucks to
load a fairly large utility tractor with a front end loader on it.
These were the ramps that have a nice curve at the top end of them so
that belly mowers won't drag.  Well, the ramps were way overloaded and
let the front of the tractor down with a bang.  When the dust had
settled, the curve on them was completely reversed!  In retrospect, it
was pretty funny, but it wouldn't have been if someone had gotten hurt.
Fortunately, he had raised the bucket enough that it didn't make contact
with the truck when it came crashing down.  The rig was long enough that
he was planning on resting the bucket on top of the cab once the rear
wheels were on the truck bed.

Larry