[Steam-engine] Hauling trailer preference

Ben Carpenter benlist at benc.com
Wed Oct 5 19:52:13 PDT 2005

Andy

My trailer is a landoll, which means it makes it's own loading ramp by
sucking the wheel forward and tilting.  For an other look at this trailer in
action take a look here.  http://www.benc.com/99nta/99nta.htm

Yes height is a thing to think about when picking a trailer,  and the engine
you plan on hauling will determine if you can use a single drop or require a
double drop trailer.  13 foot 6 inches is the max height with out getting
over size permits.  Even then you have to watch for low clearances on some
roads.  You must watch for low trees on some of the back roads where van
type semi traffic is light or not existence.

I will not load a steam engine or antique tractor without using the winch.
A winch is not fool proof but it is much more stable than loading under live
steam.  One more thing I will not load an engine alone.  I require someone
to be with me when loading or unloading.  I remember one time bringing an
engine home and due to schedules of likely help had to leave the engine on
the truck for 3 days before I could get someone to help unload it.

Mention was made about cost of rig, insurance, maintenance, license etc.
This is a big issue if you are only using the rig to haul you engine to a
few shows a year.  I bought my trailer mainly to haul steam engines (I had
the tractor first), but I also farm and have used the trailer for a lot of
things such as moving a back hoe, dozer, and hauling seed among other things
unrelated to steam engines.  We use the tractor for pulling grain trailers
during harvest and nurse trailers during planting and spraying season, so
the cost of my outfit is spread around among other things besides hauling
engines.  This is not the only tractor we have but it is the only one we
have with a wet kit, which is required to run the hydraulics on a landoll
trailer.

Ben Carpenter <benc at dmci.net> <www.benc.com> <benlist at benc.com>