[Steam-engine] Hauling trailer preference

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 07:00:39 PDT 2005

As others have said, you really need to watch the
overall height.  We want you to get to the show with
the smokestack and canopy intact.  There are some
folks who haul on a single drop trailer without
problems.  Besides overall height you need to worry
about deck height.  How are you going to get the
engine on the trailer in a flat ground situation?  You
will need some pretty long ramps and they need to be
strong enough to hold a steam engine.  Your ramps will
likely be very heavy and hard to handle.  Most shows
that I attend have a loading dock that you can back up
to but some don't  Ben Carpenter is a list member and
here is a pic of his rig from his website
http://www.benc.com/98findla/98findla.htm  look at the
pic in the upper left corner.  Maybe Ben can give us
some insight on this set up.  The old time bull-floats
used by oil drillers would really work good if they
weren't so tall.  I also agree with others that a
Landoll is about the slickest outfit out there.  I
have been considering building a rail trailer to haul
the Huber.  This trailer is just a frame lower to the
ground then you straddle it with the engine and then
raise the trailer under it thus raising the engine off
of the ground.

--- Mark <mark at ironacres.com> wrote:

> I agree, cost is the important thing. Fortunately
> down here in Ohio, I can
> tag both the truck and trailer as historical
> vehicles. With this, insurance
> is only a few hundred per year. Doesn't change the
> maintenance costs but
> helps off set them since I'm not paying big bucks in
> permits, insurance,
> etc.
>
> I'm really torn on the type. I like having the
> engine low and not worrying
> about height but the ease of loading a single drop
> deck over is very
> attractive. Especially since we have to load on the
> street just inside the
> town limits. Guess mom wasn't thinking about engines
> when she built the
> house in 70!
>
> Mark

Andy Glines