[Steam-engine] Sturtevant engine/New guy's sugestion

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 19:00:36 PDT 2005

Hi Eric;
  Yes we got the exciter, but the scrap thieves got there first and we only
have the frame and a badly damaged
armature. Actually, all the oilers you see had to be found on eBay and we
learned a lot about bending brass pipe.
We made all the unions from scratch, and remade the cabinet lagging as it
was pretty trashed. Fortunately, the
scrappers left us one valve on the Richardson-Phenix filter cabinet,
replacements were cast from this and we are
machining them. I am building a boring bar for the cylinder. Originally, we
thought the bore was pretty good, but
when we scrubbed all the carbonized cylinder oil off it was evident that she
is scored up pretty good on one side.
It's been a long haul, but she is coming back nicely. She won't generate
again, as the alternator was stripped also,
and they tried using a cutting torch on the stator and messed it up pretty
good. Bondo makes it look ok, but it's
for show, not go. The gage board was missing when we got there. You may be
thinking of the gage board for the
Ames engine from Syracuse China. We got the slate live front generator
panels for that one, but the steam gages
stayed. We got one of them. We do have some nice chart recording gages and
an original "Providence Engineering
Works" steam gauge by Star Brass, but the Star Brass gage had been made into
a clock and needs new guts. It's
an 8-1/2' 200 lbs gage. I've been watching for one for a while now, with no
luck. Oh well.....!
     Did Dave R. ever have your pics on his site? If so, they may still be
there. I'll check!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy