[Steam-engine] New guy's sugestion

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 06:00:27 PDT 2005

Hi Eric!
 Good to see you here, I remember seeing some of your posts and pictures
back in 1999 on the stationary engine
mailing list. I am into stationary engines also, present personal projects
are an 8 x 12 sidecrank engine I believe to be a
Bigelow & Co. from New Haven, CT, and a 3 x 4 bottle engine built by a man
named Nathan Jarvis in Oneida, NY. On the museum side, we have an 18 x 36
Rice & Sargent Corliss Engine, 19 x 24 Ames Unaflow,  40 HP Nagle center
crank,
7 x 7 New York Central Iron Works vertical bottle engine, 5 x 6 Sturtevant
horizontal, and several others.
   We are using a 100HP Cleaver Brooks package boiler at the museum,
partially because we do not have enough members to go around, so the
"automatic" type of operation leaves the fireman free enough to answer
questions and talk to the public in between keeping an eye on the boiler.
Recent fuel prices have us watching for a solid fuel fired HRT, as we do
have plenty of firewood. You can see our project at:
http://www.eriecanalcamillus.com

Regards;
Jim Mackessy
Camillus , New York, USA