[AT] gravely sickle mower

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Tue Oct 4 11:36:40 PDT 2005

	In these days of high fuel prices sickle mowers can be
thought of as fuel savers. I do have a Gravely sickle mower
attachment (that I want to keep)...   :-)    and of course
the Gravely engine pulls it very easily. I also have a
David Bradley sickle mower that fits my 1947 DB tractor.
That tractor also pulled the sickle mower easily but that
was only a one and a half HP engine. I have been doing more
sickle mower mowing lately since fuel  went up. Son  Scott
bought a New Idea Cut/conditioner a year or so ago and it
does a great job on most hay but it really pulls hard.
Sucks a lot of the fuel through an 80 HP tractor. The same
goes for a simple bush-hog  type mower. A 5' bush-hog
really pulls the gizzard out of a 25 - 30 HP range tractor
(like the Ford N's or Ferguson TO's) in tall stuff.
Tractors of less than 20 HP will handle a 6' sickle bar
with no problem.
	It is funny how high priced gas makes you rethink a lot of
simple things that we used to just do without thinking. It
is hard to remember that it was not really that many years
ago that gas was under a buck a gallon... Back then I was
farming bigger than I am now and doing some excavating work
and my fuel bill was well over $3,000 for the year just for
that. Today that would be about $10,000 in fuel... Yeah, I
am looking at things differently.   :-)
	I keep tossing the fuel receipts for this year in the shoe
box. I'm not sure I really want to add them up...   :-)

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest

The master in the art of living makes little distinction
between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and
his body,
his information and his recreation, his love and his
religion. He
hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision
of
excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide
whether he
is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.
 ~ James A. Michener, attributed

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net