[AT] OT Heating with wood/now waste oil

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Oct 1 07:16:09 PDT 2005

Based on my experiences over the years with particles blocking the
nozzle, even with brand new filters, I would be very, very cautious
about adding unfiltered oil. At the very least, I would add another
filter to the line at the furnace.

Another problem is that oil furnaces are (supposed to be) set up to work
efficiently with No. 2 heating oil. Diesel is essentially the same as
heating oil, and kerosene is not problem. But I would be reluctant to
put hydraulic fluid into the tank, except in very small amounts.

Mike

charlie hill wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with burning waste oil in a regular oil
> furnace? I wonder if small amounts of waste motor oil and or hydraulic
> oil can be blended in with diesel or kerosene without causing problems?
> I have about 40 gals or so I need to get rid of.
> At todays fuel prices I'd like to burn it if possible.
>
> Charlie

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any
other reason but because they are not already common. -John Locke,
philosopher (1632-1704)