[AJD] Cracks in heads

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Thu Nov 3 06:54:20 PST 2005

I couldn't get anyone to repair the head on the 35 D by welding it.
Everyone said they had too many of them "come back".  I finally found a
guy that repaired it by 'pinning'.  I have not run it much since the
repair, but so far it seems to be fine.

Gary

Chris C wrote:
>   I have little experience with cast iron welding,  or
> cracked heads,  but I am now the proud owner of 3 JD A
> heads with 'heat cracks' in them.
>
>    I also have 3 Caterpillar D7's,  3T models,  (late
> 40's to early 50's)  Notorious for cracking heads if
> they were run low on water.  Some old timers say
> sometimes the small heat cracks 'won't even leak'
>
>    So my question I guess,  is could these heads have
> been running just fine?  (The JD A ones)  All of the
> cracks are in the 'face' of the head.  Two have cracks
> in the valve seats of both cylinders,  one has a crack
> in the metal above the valve seats of the #2 cylinder.
>  (this one was also "tested" by the guy that sold it
> to me first.. hmm.. :(  wonder if his eyes were open)
>

>     Anyway,  I am off the see mr.  local head welder
> tomorrow.  My question,  has anyone run a 'cracked'
> head and had no problems?
>
>      I would guess that first of all,  a crack is
> going to expand and contract with the rest of the head
> as it heats so that crack certainly isn't going to get
> smaller if you keep running it..
>
>                Chris

In the Ozark Mountains of South Central USA where both life and I move
at a leisurely pace.