[AJD] Cracks in heads

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 22:51:55 PST 2005

  I have little experience with cast iron welding,  or
cracked heads,  but I am now the proud owner of 3 JD A
heads with 'heat cracks' in them.

   I also have 3 Caterpillar D7's,  3T models,  (late
40's to early 50's)  Notorious for cracking heads if
they were run low on water.  Some old timers say
sometimes the small heat cracks 'won't even leak'

   So my question I guess,  is could these heads have
been running just fine?  (The JD A ones)  All of the
cracks are in the 'face' of the head.  Two have cracks
in the valve seats of both cylinders,  one has a crack
in the metal above the valve seats of the #2 cylinder.
 (this one was also "tested" by the guy that sold it
to me first.. hmm.. :(  wonder if his eyes were open)

    Anyway,  I am off the see mr.  local head welder
tomorrow.  My question,  has anyone run a 'cracked'
head and had no problems?

     I would guess that first of all,  a crack is
going to expand and contract with the rest of the head
as it heats so that crack certainly isn't going to get
smaller if you keep running it..

               Chris