[AJD] What is this all about?

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Wed Nov 30 07:08:11 PST 2005

It looks like two bidders want the same thing.  Manuals are generally
available from dealers in such things for around 35 bucks or less.  I think
that is alot for a fairly common implement manual.  The shipping is at
least where it had ought to be.

This eBay stuff has made it difficult to buy manuals at reasonable prices
at farm auctions anymore.  The days of the whole farm's collection of
outdated manuals in a cardboard box for $2.00 seem to be in the past.  It
is also getting so the auctions do not include the manuals with the
implement as much as they used to especially the estate auctions.  Not so
much the going out of business auctions where the owner is
present.  Auctioneer driven there, I think.  They fool around on eBay too,
or have an antique store the wife or kids operate.

Not long ago, $51.00 would have come pretty close to buying a No. 9 sickle
mower.  My No. 8 was expensive with the mounting brackets for a 2-cylinder
and a hydraulic cylinder and hoses for $150.  The auction clerk handed me
the original manual after the successful bid.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA