[Farmall] 706 and diesel oil missed.(long)

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 08:15:28 PST 2005

Loosely related tale....
  Back when I was in college, a fellow student (an engineering-type)  bought a VW Bug and, promptly, began driving everyone to distraction  with his bragging on outrageously good fuel consumption stories.   Note that the rest of us were driving Detroit iron (I had a big, old  Plymouth Savoy, etc.) at that time.  We began secretly to add  "just a bit" of gasoline to his tank.  Over the weeks, he became  almost giddy.  If memory serves, we had him up to about 50 miles  per :-).
  Then, we started to siphone little bits out of the tank over  time.  He never caught on by himself and it was only until he was  ready to take the thing to the dealer that we owned up to the prank.
  Turned out he was ahead of the curve anyway, even if 50 MPG was not on the table.
  JM

Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net> wrote:  I suspect that your missing fuel isn't the only story we will be hearing
  about. Gasoline (petrol) as dropped back to a little over $2/gallon
around here, but road diesel is still up at around $2.75/gal. That makes
stealing 20+ gallons a worthwhile effort for some thieves. I feel sorry
if someone steals the diesel fuel out of my 560 - they will likely get
half water for their efforts. :-)

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website:
Images:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel, theology professor (1907-1972)