[AT] Some ads from the 11/26 Lancaster Farming

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Nov 28 21:10:14 PST 2005

Dudley:

I know less than I should about 8N's but one complaint I haven't heard much
is "hard steering". Is it possible you have some steering bearing issues?
Isn't there a place in the steering column that can go dry?  Or does it have
a loader on it like my 861 did? To temporarily solve my 861 "hard steering"
problem, I hooked up my JD 550 roto-tiller to the three point (Don't tell JD
I did that! :-)). If I remember right the tiller weighs about 500 lbs. Man
did that make a difference. I would have preferred a 1000 lb weight though!

I chased the hard steering problem for quite some time, with help from some
ATIS members. Even replaced the spindle bearings. Never solved the problem
and was pretty convinced by others that it was the nature of the beast.  I
looked into the PS option and at the time didn't want to spend the $1200
bucks since I knew I could come out all right the way it was if I were to
sell it. Adding another $1200 to it made it questionable.

But the real reason I sold it was because it was dangerous for me due to my
age and long legs. I had real trouble getting to the pedals when I needed to
in a hurry. I had the seat all the way back but I still was just too far
forward. I had figured out a way to jury rig a custom seat bracket so I
could move the seat back further but I finally decided to sell it. Got a
really good price for it and the buyer never called back so I guess he was
happy too. I just grew to not liking it.  So it was out of here.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com