[AT] t-giving dinner now off topic ramble

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Nov 23 09:55:33 PST 2005

H.L.  I understand your sensitivity to proper use of the language.  However,
you have obviously not spent much time in the southeast.
We were merely making fun of the way we used to talk down here.
The truth of the matter is that when I was a child there were many folks in
this area that were uneducated to the point that correctly pronouncing a
word like tomato was beyond their ability.  Folks who can't read or write
don't have much way of knowing the proper way to say something.  What they
say is based on what they hear.

That is for the most part in the past now but those of us from this region
remember it well and jokingly speak that way sometimes. Go out and get
yourself some CD's of a comedian named Jeff Foxworthy.  He'll explain it all
to you.

Charlie