JD Lawn Tractors (was Re: [AT] Cockshut, Oliver, Coop etc.

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Nov 23 07:16:47 PST 2005

Being a dealer for any company is not a cakewalk.  I regularly get John
Deere L&G units in my shop to service and repair, so they know me on a
first name basis down at the dealership.  The local one that I've been
dealing with for 30 years is being forced to move -- on orders from John
Deere.  They're located in a metropolitan area and the company thinks
the image is way to urban for agricultural sales.  They're probably
right, but the decision (along with the new location) is going to cause
owners to travel to another county to get warranty service and parts for
their John Deere products.

I asked the manager at the dealership about the sales of John Deere
items at the big box stores, and he said they welcome that part of the
system -- the local dealership picks up all the warranty service on
those units.  He's not as happy about having to move the dealership
nearly 25 miles.  The fear is that owners will not travel to another
county to get their lawn & garden stuff serviced.

The problem is different for the agricultural products.  The really big
stuff gets serviced in a completely different way and it may as well be
under a different management.  The Case-IH dealership I worked for is
physically located in the lower Ohio valley, but the service and sales
region extends all the way from central Pennsylvania, to Florida, to
Montana.  If you're a big operator and have a fleet of tractors and
equipment that is all one brand, it makes sense to have "two men and a
truck" come on-site and service it all over a three or four day period
or to ship units on a low-boy several hundred miles.  Let's face it,
nobody drives a quad-track back to the dealership for an oil change or a
transmission rebuild, or to troubleshoot the electronics on the
programmable hydraulics and the GPS.

Larry