[Farmall] Images of Jim Moran's McCormick Deering 10-20, etc.

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 20 04:55:28 PST 2005

I've been observing all the posts on trying to determine year models and
don't recall anyone mention using parts books. I have run into a couple of
older IHC tractors where the use of a parts book helped greatly in
determining year model or determining somebody had been visiting the salvage
yard over the years just to keep things running. I know parts books aren't
exactly cheap and if you have a complete machine you probably don't need
one. But if you want a "correct" machine you may find them a valuable
resource.

As for why anyone really wants to know what year Jim's tractor is, it really
shouldn't matter unless you are concerned with using the machine as a
resource for determing decals and decal placement or are planning on
restoring it. My interest in the machine would be correct decals and
placement. Dad has a 1924 model that has technically never been put out to
pasture. Although it was no longer sent to the field for farming after the
"60's, it has always been kept under a shed and ready to go at a moments
notice. However, it has been painted once and has spent numerous hours
snaking logs out of the woods. The later has been less than kind to the
fenders but remarkably not a hole in the radiator!!!! We have no intention
of restoring this one, just plan on maintaining it's "ready in a moment"
status. You just don't see many machines in working clothes anymore.

As for determining the age of Jims machine without the serial number there
are a few things different on the early 10-20's. The air cleaner and exhaust
system are different.  I don't know for sure about the 10-20's but the hood
and " firewall" were different on the Industrial 20's (I-20's) due to
different exhaust sytems. I also believe the front wheel bearings were
different. We had to replace the nut that holds the brake drum on on dad's
24 model, I believe that shaft and possibly the drum were different also.

I remember a differnet mag available for some of the Farmalls but wasn't
that one a Bosch?

John Hall