[Farmall] "Vintage" Tractor Crawl in New Zealand

Roger Moffat rogerkiwi at aol.com
Thu Nov 10 09:20:01 PST 2005

Hi George

On Nov 10, 2005, at 10:15 AM, George Willer wrote:

> Does this ring any bells?  I wonder what became of Dot?

I'm "from" New Zealand, but have lived in the US (Caledonia,
Michigan) for 12 years now, so aren't up with what happens with olde
tractors in New Zealand too much.

But years ago, when a youth I used to holiday on a farm, and later
lived there a few years - there were numerous various Farmalls/IH
tractors from F-12, F-14, F20, M, TD-35, WD-40 - each one mainly had
its own job, like hay mower tractor (F12 and F14), or hay baler
tractor (F20), or hammer mill driving tractor (the WD40). They also
had a Lanz Bulldog that didn't get used much - now there was an
intersting tractor!!

The farm still owns all of these machines, although I'm not sure how
many if any run these days.

I remember when one of our attempts to mow the new hay field with 4
tractors (3 Farmalls and a David Brown 30C) with 6 foot sickle bar
mowers bogged down after a couple of hours of tanglement and
frustration with a heavy new crop. Called a machinery company, and
the guy came down the next day with a Taarup mower (4 spinning
discs). We connected it to the David Brown 990, and the guy climbed
on, in the rain, yanked the throttle wider than it had ever been I
think and took off in 5th gear, and in short order was around the
field. We took him home and wrote out a cheque there and then for the
mower and the Farmall mower fleet was never used again!!!

Oh those were the days LOL

Roger