[Steam-engine] feedwater methods

Joe s Rogers joe101rogers at juno.com
Tue Nov 8 17:24:48 PST 2005

        I use city water as a back up to my injector; I have about 120
psi coming from the city water source.
The problem with this is, I was injecting water that was too cold. Not
good for a boiler.  How I overcame this problem is I took a 10 gal water
tub and sat it underneath my injector overflow so that I could fill it
with hot water.  Then I bought 100 foot of 5/8 copper tubing and
connected one end to the city water and one end to the boiler and laid
the rest of the coil in the hot water. This made the inspector happy
having 2 sources of heated water.

There is something I need to add and I should hope it should be a given,
but for the sake of safety I think I should say it.   When hooking a
boiler to city water be sure you have a check valve in line incase your
city water pressure should drop.  A check valve will prevent water from
your boiler form back flowing into the city water system. (I heard a
story of this happening in a Balt. city school around 10 years ago) A
child got burned.

Please pardon my spelling; it is because of this I do not contribute
often

Joe Rogers