[Steam-engine] feedwater methods

travis brown tbkeck at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 13:24:47 PST 2005

I have been following in on the discussion on the proper method of introducing water into the boiler and thought I would add this to the discussion.  Now I am NOT advocating this method, just mentioning that it has been done.  The inspector in my state has lowered the working pressure on a boiler down to where the injector does not work on a particular boiler.  The owner did not apparently have a pump or at least one that worked, but instead had found that the water pressure at the location is over his MAWP and uses that to force water into the boiler.  First of all that violates the common sense rule that there should be at least two methods of introducing water into the boiler and second what is going to happen when there is a fire or every takes a shower, lowering the pressure?  But if one has the access to a tap with this kind of water pressure, I think that having this method as a third or forth backup for those situations where the injector needs more pressure and the p
 ump is
 balky would be something to keep in the back on ones mind, just in case of emergency.

tb