[Steam-engine] boiler feedwater injector conection

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Sun Nov 6 16:52:07 PST 2005

>" injectors work good...Duplex pumps work good very rarely! But they are
fun
> to use."
>
>I am presently restoring a little duplex pump for my latest VFT boiler but
the pump I enjoy the most is on my big 80 HP VFT. It is a Clark flywheel
pump (smaller one) and does a very nice job. I did have to put in double
check valves because every once in a while, the pump checks would not seat
properly and she would overspeed. I think it is a problem with valve lift.
Putting in a lift limiter is one of those "going to do" things. The flywheel
pumps certainly use a lot less steam than an injector or a duplex because of
the ability to use "cutoff." We proved this on a steamboat which had run for
years with a Metropolitan injector. We installed an English made flywheel
pump and it cut the firing rate considerably. Anyone out there using Clark
pumps?
Francis A. Orr >