[AT] Chevy transmission question

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Nov 6 13:50:28 PST 2005

Farmer Chevy started using a 700R4 transmission in the mid to late 80's.  It
has a 30% overdrive and a killer low gear.  The junk yards are full of them
and they hold up pretty well.  Find one that has fluid that's not burned and
you should be ok.  The parts to make it bolt up should be readily available
and reasonable.  It is a bit longer than the old 350 and 400 Chevy
transmissions so you might need to move the rear cross member or something
like that and you will probably have to shorten the drive shaft.  Put a
transmission cooler on it and don't try to tow anything much in overdrive
and you'll be ok.  The one in my 89 pickup made it 276,000 miles of heavy
use and abuse.  When it went I put one out of a wrecked Camaro in it and
have put over 125,000 on that one plus  whatever was on it in the Camaro.

After about 94 they changed them to an electronic shifted model.  You can't
run that one without a computer.  Look for one in a late 80's or early 90's
car or truck.

Charlie