[AT] Chevy transmission question

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Nov 6 13:00:37 PST 2005

	This is going to sound really stupid to some of you
younger guys but my Chevy experience is more back from 1948
to 1977...   :-)   I have had mostly Fords, Dodge and IHC
over the years. Nothing against Chevy, it just happened
that when I was looking in more recent years I never ran
across a Chevy at the right price and at the right time.
	The question... My 83 Ford 1/2 ton and an old wagon I have
parked as well as my 90 Lincoln I drive all have an
overdrive automatic with a position on the selector. My
son's late model F-250D 4x4 has a push button overdrive on
the end of the shifter... I am completely unaware of
whether GM made such a tranny or not. I would assume that
they did but I just have never been involved with one. If
so how are they identified?
	I am getting back to my 1966 Chevy one ton "project truck"
this winter and since it has a 250 I am thinking of
dropping in a 350 I have in another 1 ton and I got to
thinking about hanging an auto tranny on the back of it. (I
am getting lazy in my old age) This will be driven empty
most of the time and will have a bed a little like a
wrecker bed made as short as I can make it. It will have a
gooseneck hitch and already has the frame shortened to the
rear shackles with a heavy tag hitch mounted close (done in
a previous burst of energy). In spite of those hitches it
will not be doing a lot of towing, mostly just localish
tractor shows. Since the rear end is geared low I thought
the overdrive behind the 350 would give it some decent
milage running empty and still have the advantage of the
low gearing when loaded or towing and the overdrive locked
out. I think I recall that all Chevy engines and trannies
bolt up OK. I do a bit of metal fabrication so making
mounts and a drive shaft are not a problem. If I chicken
out or get lazy on the drive shaft there are several places
in Indy (30 minutes away) that do a good job reasonably.
	Just not sure which tranny to look for...
Thanks.
	I do have a good 302 Ford and tranny (the old wagon) but
I'm afraid if I drop a Ford engine and tranny in it that it
will cause the paint to peel...   ;-)

--
"farmer"
Hewick Midwest

The master in the art of living makes little distinction
between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and
his body,
his information and his recreation, his love and his
religion. He
hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision
of
excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide
whether he
is working or playing. To him he's always doing both.
 ~ James A. Michener, attributed

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net