[Farmall] 1925 M/D 10-20

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 06:15:57 PST 2005

--- Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net> wrote:

> Generally, the reason that people strip and re-paint
> old tractors is
> because the original paint (and metal) is so ugly
> that the only sensible
> route is replacement. But when you have a machine
> whose finish is just
> "old" but not ruined, many folks like to see it in
> its "natural" state.
> It is the same with antiques of any kind -
> furniture, art, buildings,
> cars, guns, books, jewelry, etc.
**  I hear you (and the others that have expressed the
same sort of position).  However, when I "visit"
antique tractor websites, the prevailing images seem
to be machines where there has been an attempt to make
them "show pieces".  Sure, there are some pictures
where the tractors are "unfinished" in terms of the
"doll-up" thing.  I guess I assumed that those
pictures were of a "work-in-progress" nature and the
owner did not YET get around to the detailing.
Apparently, I am not correct in this area.

> But, first and foremost, it is YOUR tractor, and you
> can do anything you
> please with it that gives you satisfaction. Don't
> let anyone tell you
> what is "right" or "wrong"; that is only a matter of
> their opinion, and
> your opinion has just as much validity as anyone
> else's. :-)
** No, I don't really believe that my opinion is as
valid as those of the seasoned experts such as you.  I
understand (through collecting vintage guitars, as an
example) that a re-finish and repaired cracks do, in
fact, diminish the value.  I did not, necessarily,
extent that same thinking to things "automotive".
Case in point are the "winners" at car shows.  I have
never seen a "BEST IN SHOW" going to a Model A with
tattered sheet metal and ripped interior.  It seems
that the same line of thinking does not extend to farm
machinery.

> If it were my tractor, I would probably concentrate
> on getting the
> mechanical parts fixed up and then see what could be
> done with a little
> gentle cleaning of the painted bits - starting with
> mild detergent and
> warm water and then maybe some very mild car
> "polish" in some less
> obvious areas to see I could bring up the original
> appearance a little.
> If it turns out that paint is flaking off the metal
> or is otherwise
> useless, then I would think seriously about
> stripping and repainting.
** Of course, your are right on the money (first
things first, so to speak).  After the volumes of
"messages" that I have received about the M/D, I am
leaning toward saying "The hell with it" and sending
it down the road as it sits right now.
Another lovely day, Michael.  I am going to get
outside and do what I can before the weather turns
decidely foul.  I cut the front field yesterday and
all went well.  I did not think that I was going to be
able to accomplish that again this year.  Having done
so will make my life easier when next spring rolls
around, assuming I am still here to see spring, that
is.