[Farmall] 1925 M/D 10-20

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Nov 6 03:42:34 PST 2005

Generally, the reason that people strip and re-paint old tractors is
because the original paint (and metal) is so ugly that the only sensible
route is replacement. But when you have a machine whose finish is just
"old" but not ruined, many folks like to see it in its "natural" state.
It is the same with antiques of any kind - furniture, art, buildings,
cars, guns, books, jewelry, etc.

But, first and foremost, it is YOUR tractor, and you can do anything you
please with it that gives you satisfaction. Don't let anyone tell you
what is "right" or "wrong"; that is only a matter of their opinion, and
your opinion has just as much validity as anyone else's. :-)

If it were my tractor, I would probably concentrate on getting the
mechanical parts fixed up and then see what could be done with a little
gentle cleaning of the painted bits - starting with mild detergent and
warm water and then maybe some very mild car "polish" in some less
obvious areas to see I could bring up the original appearance a little.
If it turns out that paint is flaking off the metal or is otherwise
useless, then I would think seriously about stripping and repainting.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths
or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas
or goals are in doubt. -Robert T. Pirsig, author and philosopher (1928-)