[Steam-engine] Ultrasound test on vertical boiler

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 11:43:01 PST 2005

In one of your pics it shows them calibrating their
machine using a "known standard"  What were they using
for a standard?  Did they claibrate the machine using
the actual boiler plate.  Where I work we do a lot of
ultrasound thickness measuring.  The inspectors always
calibrate to the actual piece that they are working
on.
EX: If we are measuring a piece of pipe we take a
reading near the end in a place that we can also check
with a micrometer.  We then calibrate the machine to
give the same reading as the micrometer.
The way I calibrated my machine for my boiler was to
take a reading near a hand hole where I could also get
a micrometer reading.  The directions with my machine
recommend this as the best way to calibrate the
instrument.  I'm always suspicious of values when the
machine wasn't calibrated to the actual workpiece
being measured.

--- Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:

> Howdy all;
>   Yesterday was a fine day with the Mt. boiler
> inspectors showing up in full
> force and we all had a great time!!! Learned a lot
> and still got a long ways
> to go with school and all.  I believe the thinnest
> measurement was around
> 213.  We're hoping for 80 psi but numbers still need
> to be plugged in and
> some questions researched.
>
> Pix's at:
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/495773965ZtnFgK
>
> Hope this helps the newbee's to understand
> Ultra-Sound as much as it did
> Corky and I.
>
> Regards
> RickinMt.