[Farmall] Final Drive Needed

Richard Pope popeman at verizon.net
Tue Nov 1 07:10:03 PST 2005

Hi Mike:

That is what I am thinking - that the left final drive is the wrong one for
that tractor.  I bought the tractor in Canby, Oregon, from the next door
neighbor of the seller, who had moved to Redmond.  I never had a chance to
meet the seller and ask questions, but I did learn some details via email.
He bought it as a parts tractor and the left final drive was broken.  It
took him a week to remove the broken bolts (where, I don't know).  He
installed a salvaged final drive on the left side and it didn't work.  After
installing the 2nd final drive, he said he was satisfied.  Not only do the
part numbers not match on that left final drive, but it is visually
different.  The filler hole is not in the same place as on the right final
drive.

I called Meyers & Ward Tractor Salvage in Riverdale, CA, yesterday to price
some parts.  They wanted $1000 for the transmission including both final
drives.  Hell, I only paid $950 for the entire tractor!  I'm going to call
back today and see if they'll sell me just the left final drive.  I'll also
be attending the Tulare Tractor Swap Meet on Sunday, so maybe I'll find
something there.

Thanks for the info,

Richard