[Farmall] Final Drive Needed

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Nov 1 05:52:56 PST 2005

I have to think that your problems are a little more complicated than
you might think, Richard.

First off, the number you mention isn't a serial number, it is a part
number for the housing. According to my parts manual, the number should
be 9824DCX. (9811DCX will also work) The right housing is 9825DCX
(9812DCX will also work) So it would appear that you may have the wrong
housing on the left side. IH never put serial numbers on anything but
the tractor chassis and the engines, and those numbers very rarely
matched after the 1930s, due to the fact that engines were also sold as
stand-alone power units - the engine number will almost always be higher
than the tractor's serial number, except in the very beginning of
production.

Second, to have several successive final drive units fail is highly
unusual. Either the replacements are defective, the wrong ones, or there
is something else not right with the drive train.

Third, you tractor, according to the serial number you gave, is a 1951.

Mike

Richard Pope wrote:
> Group:
>
> I need the left final drive for a 1953 (I think) Farmall Super A.
> The previous owner of the tractor installed two different final drive
> assemblies before he found one that would work.  The tractor is
> making a loud noise when I drive it and I think it's that final
> drive.  The serial number does not match the right final drive number
> at all, which is 9812DA.
>
> Does anyone know what year my Super A is?
>
> 309276   Tractor serial number 310834    Engine serial number 8846DA
> Transmission serial number
>
> 9812DA   Right final drive 6827DB   Left final drive
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard Pope Apple Valley, CA

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

When men are pure, laws are useless; when men are corrupt, laws are
broken.  - Benjamin Disraeli