[Steam-engine] Re: [SEL] Make your own Iron Castings!!

Tod Engine todengine at zoominternet.net
Tue May 31 19:43:51 PDT 2005

If anyone wants to schedule one of the ironcasting workshops for a Saturday
in July, August or September please email me.

You do not need to bring a pattern with you, I have a few things here that
can be molded up such as bookends and 5" high letters and numbers so you can
spell your name in iron or make new house numbers.  Or if you have an item
that you would like to cast please bring it.

The workshop would start around 9 am and last the better part of the day.
Probably meet somewhere for breakfast then head off to the site. We would
start out with an overview of greensand molding, make the molds and discuss
the theory behind the operation of a cupola furnace.  After lunch we would
weigh out the charges, start the cupola and pour the castings.  Before the
end of the day the casting would be removed from the molds and cooled off to
take home with you.  You should bring safety glasses, gloves and boots with
you and a long sleeve shirt to be worn when pouring castings.

The cost would be $200 per person or per family.  I would like to keep the
class size down to no more then three or four people at a time since more
than that we just start tripping over each other! We would be doing this at
the Tod Engine Heritage Park so you'll be able to see the Tod Engine while
you're there.  All proceeds beyond cost of materials will go toward
preserving the Tod Engine and expanding the foundry at the heritage park.

Email me at rick at todengine.org if you wish to schedule a date.

Rick Rowlands
Executive Director
Tod Engine Heritage Park
William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
Youngstown, OH
http://www.todengine.org/
Photo Albums Online: http://community.webshots.com/user/todengine