[AT] Portland Swap Meet

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon May 23 15:00:31 PDT 2005

	Snorkling anyone? Mud wrestling?   :-)
	We only went for the weekend so we missed the bulk of the water falling from the sky. We
pulled in just before noon Friday and the old beater Ford P/U I was using for the bigger
trailer decided it didn't like rolling in hot then having to crawl along around the
drives while old geezer after old geezer stood in the middle of the road like a deer
looking at headlights... Yeah I know we all get distracted and the drives are really
there for the shoppers but there is a limit to just how long you should be allowed to
stand in one spot looking stupid...   :-)   Anywho... the old thing loaded up and died
just as I was about to pull into an available space to set up. The tiny battery in that
old truck has about a 30 second reserve (and getting weaker) and it drained quickly.
Thankfully Gene Dotson saw us pull in and when I discovered that I had waited too long to
charge my booster pack and it was weak he grabbed his from his truck and we got it fired
back up quickly. It didn't matter too much on time since it took the guys that were
standing there open mouthed and in the way that long to move anyway...   :-)   There was
a minor glitch with the heckling woman in the van behind me yelling and calling us names
but what can you do when you are married to her...   ;-)    Diana was in the WUV and
pulling a smaller trailer. We had a chance to visit with George Willer and Gene Dotson a
few times and talked to a lot of nice folks. We didn't get rich but paid all cost and
came home with maybe an extra $100 and a little more than that from some stuff we sold
for son Scott. We had a lot of fun to boot.
	I managed to Control myself at the auction and only ended up with two two-wheeled garden
tractors that were just alike for $9 for the pair. Not sure what brand they are. Neither
had an engine but I have engines. Both have good tires. I bought another small "stack-o-
stuff" for a buck and now I have to figure out what to do with it. I wanted the forced
draft fan made to fit into a vent of a furnace or stove and make a positive exhaust
draft. One thing included was a large soil pipe cutter/breaker. Looks like a big chain
wrench but has cutter wheels in the links. You clamp it around the cast iron soil pipe
and tighten the ratchet until it pops apart. I think it is a Rigid.
	We stayed Saturday night as well but the place looked like a ghost town by around 2PM
Saturday. We had planned to spend the day away so we moved up to the front section near
the bridge and spent the night (we have a bed in the WUV). By Sunday morning there were
only 3 of us still setup to sell. We gave up when it started raining again (what! rain at
Portland?)   :-)   We talked to several customers Sunday morning that had driven in to
look and expected to find a bunch of vendors since Sunday was listed on the schedule...
	We could not make it to the work day earlier on so we made an effort to walk around the
grounds picking up trash other folks had left on the ground and putting it in the piles
around the grounds that were waiting for pickup. We wanted to do our part. I don't think
we missed much of anything. I picked up several items like electric rod type fence post
buried down in the grass and one rebar tent stake with a washer welded on it. Those would
have sounded nice going through the mower...   :-)   I took down a lot of twine and tape
from the trees.
	We are making plans for next year and I am determined to not have to drive two vehicles
next year.
	I won't say I am "ready" for the August show but I am looking forward to it.  :-)

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. In America 100
years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA