[AT] Rain at last

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu May 19 00:59:14 PDT 2005

Ralph:

That brings back so many memories from the 40's & 50's when I was a kid on
the farm. We were dry land farmers too. Rain or no rain, what is it going to
do? Do we put the seed in and hope it rains. It's so dry they won't
germinate anyway until we get a rain. But what if it rains just a little bit
and they start germinating and there isn't enough moisture. Worry, worry,
worry.

Then we will have to replant. What to do? Then an unusually heavy rain comes
and washes most of the seed into the ditches, etc. Then hail hits and wipes
out all the seedlings. Is it too late to replant? Do we need to replant?
What kind of weather are we going to have? What to do??  Oh and those 400
head of feeder cattle are going to have to go to market soon and the market
is down, if we sell now we will lose a ton of money. The milk cows provided
some financial stability and I hated milking. Especially by hand.

I just don't understand how dry land farmers live with that uncertainty year
after year.  Most of the time it all works out. I know my Dad's disaster
plan was that he was going to get wiped out once every three years. It
didn't happen that way but his finances were prepared for it. His parents
got wiped out in the depression so failure once every three years was better
than that I guess.

As a kid I saw some really tense situations develop and it made a lasting
impression on me. I just knew I didn't have the guts to live like that. I
decided early on I was going to leave the farm. There had to be something
better. Fortunately I was able to survive in a different world. But it too
had its ups and downs. But not anything like farming.

I really have a lot of admiration and respect for those of you who have
lived under those types of stressful situations and not only survived but
have made a good life of it. I congratulate you.

I now just get to play like a farmer w/o the stresses. I'm rather thankful
for that. In fact, extremely thankful.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door