[AT] Late 1950s Case Tractors

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Fri May 13 22:03:00 PDT 2005

LeRoy, when you make the comment about not seeing Case tractors of that
vintage, I can relate. While I have seen some at the big California Antique
Farm Equipment show at Tulare, here in this county there were never many
Case tractors until the 1970's. The reason I think is very simple. Here we
had orchards, row crops (vegetables and flowers mostly), grain/hay and
dairies then. The preferred orchard tractors were Caterpillars and Fords.
The preferred row crop tractors were International, Allis Chalmers, Oliver
and John Deere (not necessarily in that order as it varied from the 40's to
the 70's). The preferred ground working tractors then and now are
Caterpillars and the chore tractors were mostly Fords and Internationals.
The Grain and Hay farmers of that time used largely Internationals and
Olivers for the good hydraulics of the Olivers or the rugged service and
good dealer penetration of International.
    So I think the number of pre-1970 Case tractors in our county could be
counted on one hand....
        Grant Brians
        Hollister California