[Steam-engine] Valve Seat, too smooth...fitting

Andre' Blanchard andre at usermail.com
Fri May 13 13:29:54 PDT 2005

Think of it as (head end) and (rod or crank end).
Do to the connecting rod angle, the piston approaches and recedes faster on
the head end then from the crank end.  The shorter the connecting rod is
relative to the stroke length the more things will be different at each
end.  Taken to the extreme, if the connecting rod length is the same as the
stroke then the piston will sit still for 180° of rotation of the
crank.  It is also unworkable as the crank and rod cannot push the piston
out of its crank end position.
I am thinking that this means the wide side of the valve should be on the
crank end, but I am not sure.

This guy has some real nicely done valve gear design programs that let you
see these things happening.
http://www.tcsn.net/charlied/