[AT] IHC Baler "46"

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Fri May 13 11:03:31 PDT 2005

I've got one of those also. Yep, they can drive a person to drink
trying to make them work.

I looked back in my mailbox and I've got messages from 10 years ago
that I've saved regarding that baler. If you want I could look through
some and if there is any good info forward it on.

But the biggest thing is the knife adjustment and sharpness. From my
experience that played a big part in tying. Not having the twine too
short that the bill hook misses it. Or that it doesn't cut through
causing it to tighten on the bill hook and not pull off.

I've been noticing some of my pasture hay is getting about long enough
to start watching the weather. My alfalfa stand that I planted last
year is starting to come on now but will be a while. We're finally
getting some rain in this area to help.

Sad that we haven't gotten much rain and 100 miles from here they are
worried about flooding. Mother nature plays a wicked game.

Brad

On May 13, 2005, at 12:41 PM, DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:

> I have been working on my baler now for almost a  year trying to get
> it to
> work correctly.  It would tie and cut on one side  but not the other
> it was
> breaking the cord and all kinds of problems. I finally  took the
> needle out and
> welded up the worn spot and then ground it out with my  saw sharpener
> it looked
> pretty good but didn't help any.
> Well back to the  drawing board, I looked at the whole thing starting
> with
> needle placement found  that they were both dragging on the right side
> and the
> left needle needed to be  lowered some.
> this helped but it still would not tie and kept coming loose  on the
> left
> side. the book said to tighten the string tention I was wondering
> about why
> because it seemed to be way to tight by now. I loosened the whole
> thing up and
> started over with just enough tention to hold the string with a  light
> pull
> about 5 lb. worth.
> The I started it up and tried again the first  one worked great both
> sided
> tied perfect knots and the string was still there  waiting for the
> next one.
> After 5 perfect little 1 ft. bails I decided I have  finally done it
> Now I just
> have to wait for the grass to get ready to cut and  bale.
>
> Both tractors the little Kubota and the Big Case LA are in good  shape
> and
> ready to go I'm ready but the grass isn't. Well! only one more month
> to go
> can't hardly wait to get out and get started working the grass  hay.
>
> Walt Davies
> Cooper Hollow Farm
> Monmouth, OR 97361
> 503  623-0460

Brad Gunnells                         |                    #
University of Iowa                    |                    ||
Information Technology Services       |       I_    ___ at ___||_____
Campus Services/ITC Technical Support |   |__ I  \ |Allis Chalmers|
Iowa City IA 52242                    |   ___\___  \ \          WC|
(319)335-5524   FAX (319)335-5505     |   * * *___|__\__________   -|
mailto:brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu        |  *     *----------------\___|
                                       | *   @   *                oo
Interested in almost anything         |  *     *                o  o
besides work!  ;^)                    |   * * *                  oo

     Web Space:  http://www.southslope.net/~gunnells/