[AT] OT, MTD log splitter hydraulic cylinder repair?

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Thu May 12 04:49:04 PDT 2005

I can believe they have problems with fillings getting into the pump,
from what I can see there is no filter of any sort on the input to the
pump, just on the return line.

Labor costs and skill to rebuild anything anymore is an issue.  I can
rebuild the cylinder, if I can figure 1.) how to get the end off, and
2.) can get the parts.

When I do have to replace the cylinder (assuming I can not repair it),
it will not be with the MTD cylinder.  They want $800+ for the cylinder
and I should be able to replace it for somewhere about 1/2 of that with
another cylinder.  I just have to make sure the cylinder pressure specs
and dimensions are the same (or in the case of dimensions, close...).

Do you by any chance know if max pressure on this splitter (31 ton) is
2500 or 3000psi?

Thanks,
Howard