[Steam-engine] Valve Seat, too smooth

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 08:18:59 PDT 2005

Thanks Ken, et al for the "been there done that"
insights on my project.  The shop used an inserted
mill which was not set to have all to the inserts at
equal height so the finish was pretty rough but
certainly flat.  The last time I used a flycutter I
remember it leaving a very nice finish.  You are right
about handworking actually hurting me on the flatness.
 I think that I have honed enough and now I will use
prussian blue to see how well they fit and correct as
needed.  You also make a good observation about the
valve having longer edge on one side than the other.
Again, thanks to everyone for their input.  Even when
I don't agree with what I read here, it is always food
for thought.
--- Ken Majeski <fuller_johnson1 at msn.com> wrote:
> Well I have done 2 valve seats. One on the 24 Minnie
> that I used to have and
> one on my little Case. A friend just mounted them in
> his Bridgeport and cut
> them with a flycutter. Same with the Valve.... I did
> nothing special as far
> as dressing down. Just fed plenty of cylinder oil at
> first. Niether caused
> any problems whatsoever and both engines run well to
> this day. I did look at
> the Minnie after a couple years and it was just
> Fine. After all.... You did
> Machine it to get it Flat.... Why Futs it up by
> dressing, Honing ect....
> Other opinions may vary but this is mine....
>
> If you decide to turn the valve be sure that one end
> isn't longer than the
> other. Some engines have a wider face on one end as
> my Little Case has. If I
> remember right the wider side goes to the rear.
>

> Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine,
> Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R.
> Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN