[Steam-engine] Firebox door (rookie question #999,999)

badams at tractors.bloomington.in.us badams at tractors.bloomington.in.us
Fri May 6 06:39:53 PDT 2005

Andy,
 	Opening the firebox door cools things off quite a bit.  The hole
in the door, with or without damper, allows you to see the fire without
opening the door.  Someone mentioned secondary airflow.  The Huber has
that little door at the bottom of the combustion chamber for secondary air
at that point but a damper over the inspection hole is a good idea.  I
think I remember a baffle on the door of the 16HP roller at Boonville.
Hope this helps,
Brice