[AT] Nuts n Bolts, bolts mostly...

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun May 8 05:55:11 PDT 2005

Matthew,
  There are a lot of reasons why this isn't done. Here are a couple to
get started.

1- Strength,  Threads weaken a bolt. The root diameter of a thread and
the sharp corner there are the weakest part of the bolt. Since bolts are
sized for loads in both shear and tension it would require a larger bolt
to maintain the same strength.

2- Hole sizing, Holes are sized for the shoulder diameter of a given
bolt. Not for the size of the threads. That shoulder bears the load in
shear and centers the bolt in tension. This gives even clamping force
around the head.

3- Threads wear, In a given size hole if thread surface is used as a
load bearing surface it wears quickly and you end up with a loose part,
wallowed out holes, or both.

Steve Williams