[AT] 8N ring and pinion

Greg Whittaker gwhittak at triton.net
Fri May 6 14:15:23 PDT 2005

I found a used ring and pinion set for $175.00.  That's way better than a
grand.  The whole issue with this started 20+ years ago when as a young teen
I broke a couple teeth off the ring gear.  The tractor has a Sherman backhoe
on it so it gets pretty good traction ;-)  This all happened at camp where
we don't have the facilities to split the machine so we only replaced the
ring.  We knew that they should be replaced a matched set but weren't able
to do that.  A few years ago it started getting loud and two years ago we
brought it home to do some work and it let go.  Most of the teeth are
stripped right off the pinion and the ring is pretty chewed up.  Here's some
pics
http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-10634

Greg Whittaker
Wolverine Mi.