[Steam-engine] Valve Seat, too smooth

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Fri May 6 12:05:32 PDT 2005

Andy;
     I think a lot of old-timers would have gone with a hand scraped finish,
which
would give you the oil holding ability you are worried about, but I have
only found
evidence of this on one engine so far. Of course, most of the others were
"million
milers" and corroded past the point of showing even if it was there
originally. With
the right tools and a bit of practice, it is not hard to put "fish scales"
or "crescent"
patterns on a flat surface, and this would be enough to hold oil. I have
done this on
machine tools and even large slides on injection molding dies to prevent
galling. If
there is a machine rebuilder or an old time tool and diemaker in your neck
of the
woods, perhaps you could have it done reasonably. I'm interested to hear
what
others have to say on this topic, it's a good question.
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy