[Steam-engine] Valve Seat, too smooth

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 06:06:07 PDT 2005

As I was working on honing the valve seat to remove
the cutter marks I began to wonder if I need to worry
about getting the surface to smooth.  The D valve is
already very smooth with a ground finish and the is
well in its way to being just as slick.  I know that
if we get cylinder walls to slick on a gas engine oil
won't stick to the cylinder walls and there is a lack
of lubrication for the piston.  My initial thinking
was to get the seat as smooth as possible so that it
will make a better bearing surface.  Should I go for
super smooth or should I leave faint traces of the
tool marks to hold oil?

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN