[Steam-engine] Huber progress

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 05:42:17 PDT 2005

A long time ago Brice reported that it took nearly
80psi to get the Huber moving.  He replaced the rings
and in my restoration I have found the D valve to be
in pretty bad shape as well.  I'll bet that the valve
was at much at fault as the rings were.  I took the
valve to a tool maker, Norm Kleug, in my club.  He put
it on his surface grinder and now it is very flat and
very smooth.  He told me that he had to take about
.030" to get the surface to clean up.  Of course, the
seat was going to need attention.  Again I owe thanks
to a friend in the SIAM club.  Our blacksmith works
for Burch Mfg. http://www.burchmfg.net/index.html  in
Evansville.  C.J. mentioned my project to one of the
head fellows at Burch Mr. Cory Reisen.  Cory was
actually excited to work on steam engine parts so I
was in.  On the Huber the cylinder and engine frame
are all cast as on piece.  I asked him if they had a
machine big enough the handle my part.  Cory assure me
that they have an NC milling machine perfect for the
job.  I took the cylinder down to Burch and explained
what I needed and also demonstrated the valve so they
would know how it works.  I explained that flatness
was top priority with a good surface finish a close
second.  I was told to come in after work one last
Fri. and they would have the part set up on the mill.
They wanted me to check over the set up before they
cut.  I wasn't sure that I would have much helpful
input but I showed up anyway.  When I got to the plant
they had already cut the surface, which was fine by
me, and the part was ready to go home.  They did a
great job and save me a great deal of hand work and
scraping.  Corey told me that they had to take about
.040" that would have been a BUNCH of scraping.  They
used an inserted mill so the surface finish wasn't
quited what I had hoped for but I can deal with that
at home with a honing stone.  With the major job well
on its way to completion I hope to be reassembling
things soon.

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN