[Steam-engine] Peerless Steam Traction Engine for sale on eBay

BETH VANARSDALL 24port at accesstoledo.com
Sun May 1 21:20:05 PDT 2005

Hi Steve,

I reviewed your engine on e-bay.  Word of advice for you & anyone else
selling large items on e-bay--make sure you have collected funds prior to
releasing your engine.

We (the banking industry) are experiencing a huge amount of fraud via
counterfeit checks in relation to e-bay and other such transactions.  My
apologies to our Canadian and European friends, but these fraud cells are
operating from their areas where the different banking rules make matters
more complicated.  In the US, the issuing bank has 48 hrs to contact your
bank that the check is being returned.  However, if it is counterfeit, it
may take over 2 weeks to return if the Fed cannot locate the issuing bank
(they put a fake Fed routing # in the bottom line).  Additionally, the
Canadian banking system can take up to a year to return checks for whatever
reason.

I encourage you to require the funds be wired directly to your bank.  Bank
checks are acceptable as long as you verify that they are real (call the
bank and verify all of the information on the item) and allow at least 48
hrs for it to clear.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am witnessing too many people
being scammed.  Hopefully, they will not target our items, but it is better
to be safe than sorry.

Good luck and my best wishes to your wife with her challenges.  I fully
understand the challenges of medical situations with my husband's kidney &
pancreas transplant almost 2 years ago.

Beth