[AT] Answering Farmer

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Wed Mar 30 20:34:23 PST 2005

>SNIP**
>         Great information Greg. I did notice that you failed to mention
> which farm enterprise we
>should be in to make us a good living without all the
>complications...   ;-)   Seems to
>be a real shortage of those...
>         You grow a lot of edible beans if I recall correctly and raise
> hogs. Assuming that if
>for some reason you were to start over tomorrow that you would still
>farm... If you could
>pick and choose and had the money what crop/critter (if any) mix would you
>pick?
>
>--
>"farmer", Esquire
>SNIP**
In all seriousness, I asked our local elevator guy about a month ago what
crop to grow that would pretty much guarantee a profit.
I was told that "that particular crop" was highly illegal.  After we both
had a good laugh,  he said that the one with the most promise at this time
seemed to be wheat.  (Unfortunately we are already locked into what we
planted last fall for this crop.)   Due to an extremely late fall last
year, I was only able to get in about 17 acres of wheat, and we are not
sure to get all of that due to the late planting date.  For those who are
not familiar, I farm about 110 acres.  (Not as a hobby farm, but as a need
to make money.)   Also, all of my machinery (except for 2 items) is over 30
years old.  My skid-steer is 23 years old and my 4-row corn planter I would
estimate to be about 14 years old.

Edible beans are a big crop in our area - navy, black, pinto, etc.  They
are a high weather-risk crop, but do have the advantage of an early harvest
date which allows us to get wheat planted in a timely fashion after the
bean harvest.  As for livestock, I no longer own any.  The feeder cattle
went 15 years ago.  I had them during the "bad" years and lost a fortune on
them.  (At one time I had 100 feeder cattle and 300 hogs.)  I sold the last
of the hogs 9 years ago when the last of the children went to college as I
then had no one to help move them.  Plus, about 12 years ago the big
corporate farms started taking over to the point that buyers only wanted to
deal in semi load lots and that basically shut down our local livestock
markets for those of us that sold 8 or 10 at a time.  For this year I have
decided to go wth wheat and about 26 acres each of  corn, soybeans, and
edible beans.  (Haven't decided which kind of edible bean yet.)  A few
acres of sand hill I leave in hay and sell to a relative for his dairy
cows.  As far as what I would ideally like to do... having had livestock
for many years and now being in my 50s, I would prefer to be able to raise
crops and make some money.  At least for now it appears one will have to
raise several crops and hope that one or two will make some
profit.  Although the farm is my main work, I have a couple of small
part-time jobs, running a small appliance repair business and driving truck
for a cousin during harvest.  The wife also has a full-time job.  (She's a
librarian.)

Greg Hass