[Farmall] Looking for 340 parts

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Mar 30 07:54:38 PST 2005

The good news is that you can disassemble and replace the brake disks
with little more than a ratchet wrench and socket - 6 bolts and
everything comes apart more or less easily, depending only on how much
crud is on the splined shafts. At worst, it is an hour per side. A
little more difficult is turning back the threaded pieces so that you
can adjust them properly - some good penetrating oil and some elbow
grease is in order. You need 4 brake discs, and they run about $10 each,
depending on where you get them from. The static pressure pads are
usually a little rusty and can use some fine sandpaper or similar to
clean them up. Unless one of the three springs is broken in the pressure
pad assembly, I would not suggest disassembling them, but just clean
everything up and put it all back together. There are rubber grommets
that keep the worst of water and animals out of the brake housings, and
if they are missing/ruined, they are available from Case IH. The manuals
are not clear on this, but there should be a threaded hole in the bottom
of each of the housings that should be left open for drainage - someone
had installed a screw in one of mine, which permitted water to remain
inside.

As far as the clutch pedal and foot boards, I haven't checked my parts
manuals, but I am afraid that those parts on the 340 are not the same as
any other similar tractor. My parts CD doesn't have a way of doing that
kind of search, but the Case IH dealer's system does. There is even a
difference between the 340 row crop and the 340 utility in that area.
You can probably use virtually any similar spring for a return spring,
as it is not a critical item as long as it works - check with a decent
hardware store or non-chain auto parts store. Or look in
<www.mscdirect.com>. I would not bother with a used spring unless you
get desperate - a used spring is probably stretched out and will likely
break soon anyway. If you need part numbers for anything, contact me
off-line.

Mike

br549 at hemc.net wrote:
> I just got my 340 home Saturday night (with zero problems even using
> an old truck and "following the sun" to get home). It looks pretty good
> (recent repaint) but on closer inspection, needs some TLC.
>
> The parking brake latch was frozen (now working) but the brakes
> hardly work themselves. Is a brake job difficult or costly? I also
> noticed that the left footrest was bent and looking closely I found the
> rear bracket was bent, the clutch pedal was rewelded and bent and
> the front bracket was bent and broken. I sourced a clutch pedal, think
> I can straighten the rear bracket but need the front bracket and return
> spring. Are there any other models (240? 330? 460?) that have the
> same footrest arrangement and might have the parts I need (if
> someone out there can't put me in touch with the parts)?
>
> Thanks for all the great info and help thus far...

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )