[Farmall] lets talk Farmalls

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Mar 28 14:08:42 PST 2005

Arthur Umland wrote:
>    While I realize there are a lot of variables in answering the
> following question, I will ask anyway! Next Saturday, April 2nd I hope
> to travel to Redwood Falls, MN for an auction. Of interest to me are
> three 1961 International Utility 240's, two with sickle bar mowers and
> one with front end loader. No other details in the auction notice, but
> expect them to be well used and not restored. Any suggestions on what
> price they might bring in your part of the country?
>
> There is also a 1958 International 130 utility with sickle bar mower.
I would say, that if they are in reasonably good condition, the ones
with sickle bar mowers should be worth about $2000-2500. And the rule of
thumb we used to go by was that any tractor with a loader was worth
about $1000 more than a comparable bare tractor. If they are ex-town
machines, you can figure that the loader tractor is pretty well worn out
from year round use loading salt, sand, gravel, hot patch, etc. The
mower tractors may actually be in better shape, since they were probably
only used for roadside maintenance during the summer. The International
240U is a nice machine with decent live hydraulics, but it is still a
Super C down deep (same transmission, rear, and only slightly improved
engine). Same non-live PTO. Power steering was optional, so if there is
one with the loader tractor, that is a big plus. The 240U came with no
hitch, Fast Hitch, or industrial three point hitch - obviously one with
a three point hitch would be a lot more useful than one of the others.

The 130 might got for $1000-1500, depending on the condition. That is
really just a re-badged Super C for all intents and purposes.

I have a 240U, and it is a nice tractor; I would very much like to have
a loader for mine, but haven't found one yet. I have been corresponding
with a gentleman up in western NY who bought a 240U with a Wagner loader
from the local water company. It didn't look that bad, but once he
started digging in to it, he realized that it needed a LOT of work to
make it whole. A common problem with a lot of similar IH tractors seems
to be that the steel hydraulic lines that run from the control valves
under the instrument panel to the rear hitch rot out, causing all kinds
of difficulties. Fixing the problems is not easy nor cheap. I had that
problem on both my 240 and 340.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we
don't believe in it at all. -Noam Chomsky, linguistics professor and
political activist (1928- )