[AT] Quiet list and tapered axles

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Mar 27 10:34:55 PST 2005

I will add only one comment to the tricks of removing frozen / tight hubs -
use a bigger hammer!  If a 16 oz. doesn't do the job in a few blows, jump to
a 3 pounder.  In physics it is known as the "impulse - momentum" theorem.  A
heavier hammer will transfer more momentum to the end of the puller
resulting in a higher impulse which is more g forces.  I had given up on
removing a flywheel after about 50 blows with a common hammer, it only took
one stout rap with a 3 pounder to separate the shaft and flywheel.  Don't go
crazy, but work your way up methodically - my problem is I don't have much
between the 3 pounder and the 12 pound post maul - :-).  But I have never
had to use anything beyond the 3 pounder.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116