[Farmall] lets talk Farmalls

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Mar 26 04:20:05 PST 2005

John Hall wrote:
> Well since nobody else wants to talk Farmalls I'll talk to myself.
>

> Anybody else got red tractors in their future???????
My Farmalls don't get much activity during the winter around here. I
brought the 560 diesel up to the house in December to use with the
backup generator if the power went out. But the fuel gelled when it got
real cold and wouldn't start. I went to get the Super M out instead, but
it was blocked by the 340 which refused to start also. Actually, getting
the 340 out wouldn't have helped, as the Super M battery was finally
completely dead (7 years old). Fortunately, I didn't have to resort to
using the Ford 860 for the generator, as we never lost power. :-)

I cleaned out the fuel filters and bowl on the 560 and got it running,
replaced the battery in the Super M, and (as soon as the temperature got
above freezing) the 340 started right up as if it were summer. I
re-arranged things in the shed so that I can get the Super M out easily,
and I would hope that the fuel problems with the diesel are fixed.

Later on, I will be getting the all the other Farmalls out of their
hibernation in my neighbor's barn - they are all "nice weather"
tractors, and two of them don't run antifreeze, so they are drained in
the fall. But there is still some snow on the ground around here, so I
don't think we are quite ready for them  - maybe in a few weeks.
Meanwhile, I bought a replacement used seat base for the 560 and have it
in the electrolytic de-rusting tank. It was rusty, but the bushings are
all in good shape, unlike the one on the tractor that is so worn and
sloppy that the seat sits at an angle. I had thought I could just
replace the bushings in the original seat, but everything is stuck
solid. Once I get the "new" base installed, I might see if I can fix up
the old one, but I didn't want to disable the tractor by removing the
seat and taking a month or so to get it back on. The pending job for the
560 is grading the dirt lane with the back blade - we have potholes so
big the ducks are starting to swim in them. :-)

Mike

> John Hall
PS: Best wishes, John, for successful surgery and speedy recovery.
ms

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

He that is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell
and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. -Thomas Paine,
philosopher and writer (1737-1809)