[AT] Pitchforks - new vs. old.

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Mar 25 12:17:41 PST 2005

Man, a fork that small would have been ideal to work with instead of the
beet fork that my uncle had in the silo out on the dairy farm.  D handle
-- about the size and shape of a grain scoop shovel, no plate on the
outward end of the tines to hold them together, and the end of each tine
was forged into a bulb so it remained blunt.  I never did ask about the
heritage of that fork, but I always suspected it was a carryover from
the days when my grandfather raised sugar beets on the farm -- around
1905.  The beet wagon was still setting in the orchard in 1979 and sold
with the rest of the farming hardware.  Think of a horse-drawn grain
wagon with a side dump fashioned like the tail gate on a gravel truck.

Larry