[AT] Pitchforks - new vs. old.

Gene Waugh gwaugh at wowway.com
Fri Mar 25 05:34:32 PST 2005

I bet too, farmer, that this is looking at the difference between a forging
and a fork simply welded up from steel rod---I too will take a look; I am
suspecting that we will find both types in the stores---cheaper (welded) and
more expensive (forged).  In any case, this was really an interesting
observation.

Gene

Farmer wrote....

With the old fork it was much more pleasant
work. The difference??? the new fork had good sturdy tines but they were
straight in
diameter from the back to almost the end then the ends were sharpened down
to a point.
Basically a straight rod with sharpened ends bent to a curve. The sharpened
part was only
about an inch of the tine. My old fork on the other hand had tines that were
tapered the
full length of the tine. They were quite heavy at the back then tapered
smoothly to the
point.