[AT] Pitchforks - new vs. old.

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Mar 25 05:01:31 PST 2005

	I was cleaning out an empty horse stall that the horse owner had neglected badly and
learned a new lesson about pitchforks. The stall had not been cleaned in several months
and was matted tightly with manure and old hay. I grabbed her pitchfork, a decent looking
brand new manure fork with about 6 tines. I thought the silly thing was going to work me
to death. I have forked a lot of manure over a lot of years but this batch was work... I
was not in a hurry so I did about 1/3rd of the stall and quit. The next day I did another
third of it but used an old pitchfork I had. With the old fork it was much more pleasant
work. The difference??? the new fork had good sturdy tines but they were straight in
diameter from the back to almost the end then the ends were sharpened down to a point.
Basically a straight rod with sharpened ends bent to a curve. The sharpened part was only
about an inch of the tine. My old fork on the other hand had tines that were tapered the
full length of the tine. They were quite heavy at the back then tapered smoothly to the
point. I was forking over a gate and with the new fork I could not just toss the manure
over the gate. It clung to the fork and most of it I had to rake off by dragging the fork
back over the edge of the gate. When pitching (that's why they call them "pitch" forks)
:-)    I could feel the load move maybe an inch or two then hang on the tines. With the
old fork since the tines were tapered once the load had moved any at all the tines were
loose in the load and it would slide easily off of the fork.
	That is one of those simple things that you normally don't give a lot of thought to but
can make a huge difference in use. If the stall is cleaned daily or even weekly the new
fork would work fine but for packed stuff you might want to watch for a good old fork
with tapered tines. I have not had a chance to look at farm stores to see if any of the
new forks come with tapered tines.
	Now you have the "straight poop"...   ;-)

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. Here 100 years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net